What forms do I need to submit In my tax return?


The main tax return (SA100) isn’t the only form that needs to be completed when the Self Assessment deadline arrives. Depending on your circumstances, there are a range of supplementary pages that need to be filled out and submitted along with it.

Knowing which ones apply to you ensures you complete the tax return not only correctly, but efficiently, writes GoSimple Software’s Technical Director, Mike Parkes.

Self-employment: SA103S or SA103F

As an IT contractor, if you are trading as a sole trader, you’ll need to submit one of the self-employment forms. If your annual turnover was below the VAT threshold for the given tax year, then you would fill out the shorter version (SA103S). Above this requires completion of the SA103F.

Regardless of the form, you’ll need to provide information around your business. You’ll give detail on when it was registered if it was after 5th April of the tax year, along with your turnover figure and any other business income. Allowable expenses and capital allowances can also be entered. Any information about losses from previous tax years should be included too.

UK property income: SA105

If you rent out any UK properties in addition to being a sole trader, whether by yourself or let jointly, then you will need to fill out the SA105. This asks questions about the number of properties rented, as well as whether you’re claiming Rent a Room relief.

You’ll provide information on your total rental income, and can also enter any expenses and capital allowances involved. Detail about any Furnished Holiday Lettings (FHL) will be required, if you rent these out in the UK or in the European Economic Area (EEA).

Foreign income or gains: SA106 or SA109

Perhaps you also receive income overseas via savings, dividends, pensions or benefits. The SA106 allows you to give information around this, including the amount of income before tax, and then foreign tax deducted or paid.

If you weren’t able to transfer the revenue to the UK, then this is classed as ‘unremittable income’ (simply choosing not to bring your foreign income to the UK does not count as unremittable), and there’s a relevant section for this on the form. You’d also input information around Foreign Tax Credit Relief on your income if you can claim this. Income from land and property abroad should be declared if you rent an overseas property.

Any other foreign income and gains can be added to the SA106 too. The SA109 would need to be completed if you’re classed as a non-UK or dual resident.

Other potential forms to file

There are a number of other supplementary pages that may require submission. The SA108 (capital gains summary) is necessary if you meet the criteria – for example if the chargeable assets you have sold or disposed of are worth over £45,200 (2018/19) or you made a gain in excess of the annual exemption of £11,300 for 2017/18. If you’re a partner in a partnership, then the SA104S or SA105F will need to be filed in addition to the SA100 for each individual.

Those who are either directors of a limited company or classified as an employee for the given tax year should complete the SA102. This requires information about pay and tax deducted, as well as any benefits or expenses. Income from trusts and settlements can be recorded by filling out the SA107.

Whichever forms you need to complete, they will need to be submitted along with the tax return in time for the 31st January deadline.

Source: GoSimpleTax

Latest Posts

About Us

IT Contractors UK is one of the leading information and resource portal for IT Contractors in the UK. We provide a variety of services to IT Contractors such as IT Jobs, Forum, list of Accountants & Umbrella Service providers, Recruitment Agencies, Insurance, Contractor Mortgages and more.

Copyright 2019. All content copyrighted by IT Contractors UK. Website Design by ThinkWeb Solutions
We have updated our cookie policy to reflect new guidelines.